When you receive injuries from a car accident, you expect your auto insurance company (or the other driver’s) to step up and settle your claim. You deserve to focus on your recovery after an accident, but that can be incredibly difficult to do if an insurance company refuses to settle your claim.
WHY INJURY CLAIMS AREN’T SETTLED
Some of the reasons insurance companies won’t settle an auto accident injury claim include the following:
- Insufficient proof. When you report your accident and injuries to your insurance company, an insurance adjuster will evaluate your claim. The evaluation process includes reviewing the police report, witness accounts, accident reconstruction, and any photos or surveillance video. If the adjuster doesn’t find enough proof of your injuries or who is liable for the accident, that can hinder your ability to get your claim settled.
- Pre-existing conditions. Maybe you suffered from chronic back pain for years, but your back was feeling better before your accident. Due to the accident, however, you now need weekly chiropractic appointments and massage sessions. Sometimes insurance companies try to deny accident victims a settlement claim because of pre-existing conditions. If the accident aggravated a pre-existing condition, you should be able to get coverage for your recovery and treatment costs.
- Strategic delays. Insurance companies sometimes resort to delaying the claim process on purpose. In doing so, they hope you will get tired of dealing with the claim process and simply pay your injury costs yourself. In these cases, patience on your part is key.
- Filing issues. An insurance company may not offer a settlement because of filing issues with your claim. If you didn’t submit your claim within 30 days, for instance, you may not be eligible to receive compensation. If you don’t follow specific rules or procedures, your claim also could be denied.
WORKING WITH A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY
Working with a personal injury attorney to file your accident injury claim can help you avoid having your claim denied or the insurance company failing to offer you a settlement. An attorney who has had experience handling auto accident claims will know how to:
- Prepare sufficient evidence for your case
- Deal with any issues concerning pre-existing conditions
- Pressure your insurance company (or the other driver’s) to settle your claim fairly
You want to ensure you get the compensation you deserve, so you can focus on your recovery instead of battling an insurance company. Hiring a personal injury attorney can help you overcome the difficult obstacles in getting your injury claim settled.